Sunday 28 August 2011

Gates Analysis

I have just been Microsoft - again.
Hours of work down the pan thanks to Works Not Working.


Meanwhile, back at the blog. It is a year since I began running on 19th August 2010.

Thought I ought to commemorate it in some way. Discovered on Runners Forum a new initiative . A monthly 1 mile time trial.

Appropriate n’est pas?

Using my traditional ruler-on-the-map method I found an exact mile between the outer ends of two bridges on my “Bridge2far” route. Benefits of this are:-
  • Easy to identify marker points
  • Can be used in either direction
  • Familiar territory
  • More or less level - no visible gradient
  • Proper warm-up of about 2 miles beforehand.

My time - 7min 26.82sec. Or 0:07:27. Not in Seb Coe territory but OK by me. A mile is a long way when you are steaming along flat out.

Now I have to improve on it next month!

The object of this time-trial is to compete with oneself - not with others. Inevitably one makes comparisons.

An arithmetic average of all the times announced is 7min 12sec. There are 13 faster than me and 10 slower. There is a difference of 4 min 39sec between fastest and slowest times. None of the times are faster than 5min or slower than 10. So on a track over 2 miles the fastest would not be able to lap the slowest.

This puts me into the upper part of the third quartile. Happy with that.

I know my place.

And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. St Matthew Ch 5 v 41



Steaming Along
Thou shalt have one God only; who
Would be at the expense of two?

Thou shalt not kill; but need’s not strive
Officiously to keep alive

Do not adultery commit;
Advantage rarely comes of it

Thou shalt not steal; an empty feat,
When it’s so lucrative to cheat

Thou shalt not covet, but tradition
Approves all forms of competition.

Arthur Hugh Clough


No comments:

Post a Comment