Saturday 8 October 2011

Pleased or Sorry?

Big Issue
I did not get a place in the ballot for the London Marathon (VLM).

Am I pleased or sorry? Relieved or disappointed?

Background
Last year when I told friends I had entered for the Bath Half a number of them said “London Marathon next year then?” A comment which I duly pooh-poohed at the time.

Reasons
But it is a logical progression. Another year - another challenge. Onward!

And if one is going to attempt just one - then London is the big draw.

Especially in 2012. Even without a direct link to the Olympics - 2012 is the year when the eyes of the world will be on London.

So when the ballot opened of course I had to enter. Who wouldn’t?

Looks like everyone else felt the same and went for a place.

Which in my case I have not got.

The VLM Commiserations Magazine
Last week I received a magazine - written for and directed at those who had been unsuccessful in the ballot for places.

There must be an awful lot of us if they print a special magazine.

Options
Now I have to make up my mind what I want to do. Choices are:-
  1. Do nothing - accept philosophically that it is not for me next year
  2. Enter another Marathon that may still have places
  3. Talk to the charity I was to have supported - and see if they have any places
  4. Buy a guaranteed charity place - but commit to raising mega money
  5. There is no Option 5 - it is only there to make up the number.

So. What to do?




Pink Pig Found in Battersea Dogs' Home

NAMING OF PARTS
This is the lower sling swivel.
And this
Is the upper sling swivel, whose use you will see,
When you are given your slings.
And this is the piling swivel,
Which in your case you have not got.
The branches
Hold in the gardens their silent, eloquent gestures,
Which in our case we have not got.
Henry Reed.

The SMLE MkIII* was manufactured without a magazine cutoff or a piling swivel as these had proved to be tactically obsolete and had a significant cost in mass production. The training Corporal would have had a Mk III with these features but the recruits would have been issued with the newer Mk III*.

Just thought you would like to know that.


No comments:

Post a Comment