Thursday 13 January 2011

Injury

“Ouch!” - ET
It has happened - my first injury.

Has rather made a mockery of my new training plan published at the weekend.

Last week I did my first run more than 13.2 miles / 21.2 Km. Completed in under 2 ½ hours. Hence my confidence in my ability to complete the Bath Half Marathon in March.

Not so sure now.

Monday morning went for a shorter-faster run. Was to have been Figure 8 route 4.7 miles in about 42 minutes. On a straight slightly downhill bit where I was pushing the pace I got a sudden muscle spasm in my left calf. Thought it was "just" cramp so stopped and massaged it for awhile before continuing at a more circumspect speed. But then got more a severe pain at the farthest point from home. Stopped running at 2.44 miles / 3.93Km and walked home.

Had my phone with me so could have rung for a taxi.

Reading the Family Medical Encyclopaedia the symptoms suggest it could be:-
  • Cramp - caused by a temporary lack of blood flow associated with severe exertion
  • Peripheral vascular disease - in which blood vessels in the legs are narrowed
  • Compartment Syndrome - pressure that limits blood supply.
The third of these occurs most often in athletes who have well -developed muscles. So it won’t be that. The second is a bit worrying as it could be associated with high cholesterol levels and narrowing arteries. Warm baths, deep heat and resting already seem to have reduced the pain to dull ache so maybe it is just the first of these three.

Time for Rest and Recuperation (R&R). Re-assess and revise plans - be realistic.
And maybe some therapy? Better ask Sam on the Runners Forum.

Good timing - it has been sheeting down with rain ever since.

“Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.” Proverbs Ch 16 v18.

 R&R - head down and hard at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment