Monday 3 January 2011

More is Less

Another threshold crossed - a new distance achieved - more than ten miles.
To be precise 10.6 miles in 106 minutes. At my usual pedestrian pace of 10 minute miles.

Red Berries - White Snow

After an enforced layoff of nearly 2 weeks due to snow and icy conditions my fitness levels do not appear to have dropped as much as I feared. Yes, it has been difficult to get back into the swing of things and it has felt hard work at times. Restarted with a couple of short loops of 3+ miles, extended this to over 5 and then decided to double it.

Now that I have done 80% of the distance I am confident I can complete the Half Marathon in March.

Inevitably the shorter runs are faster on average - there is a distinct drop-off in my pace in the last part of a run - more markedly in the longer runs. Ideally I would like to increase my average on the longer runs to be closer to that on the shorter ones.

To do this I need to concentrate on the efficiency of my running. A more “falling forward” stance, better control over arms and legs, and controlled deep breathing rather than gasping, will all create more speed for less effort. I need to recreate the discipline I held to during my 10Km race - when my average speed was above my usual but my max speed was less than usual.

I ache therefore I am.

Rest day today.


In running, every pace
Is but between two legs a race,
In which both do their uttermost
To get before, and win the post;

Yet when they’re at their races' ends,
They’re still as kind and constant friends,
And, to relieve their weariness,
By turns give one another ease.
Butler.

Kind and constant friends - Saxons at Dyrham Park NT

No comments:

Post a Comment