Monday 12 September 2011

911 - Bristol Half-Marathon

My 2nd Half Marathon but first in Bristol. My Bath HM time of 2:12:56 put me in the penultimate sheep pen (Red Labels) at the start rather than the rear one.

A recce visit last week ensured that I knew where to go and how to get there minimizing worries and hassle on the day. But I still managed to break the chip tie attaching it to my shoe. Park and Ride operated as promised - normally it does not run on a Sunday.

Objective was to beat my PB for HM. On the basis that the route was mostly flat and my recent training had shown decreases in my times for my 6.5 mile training route I was confident this would be achieved. As a stretch target I yearned for a sub 2 hour time - but I knew this would be v hard as my best training times were 58 minutes for 6.5 miles. Could I manage this for just over double the distance? Unlikely but worth a try.

Before the start - penned up and pent up


My race plan was to ease into the first couple of miles and then up the pressure on myself when the crowds thinned a bit. Not that they did. Also to concentrate on my smoothest running style to avoid effort being wasted in scuffs, trips, and thrashing limbs. I know you are supposed to keep a reserve for the later miles but if I went too slowly in the first half of the race I would not be able to make up the lost time - so I had to keep near the top of the range of my fuel-economy cruising speed. This time I also pre-planned which water stops I would use, going for a 2 stop strategy. Except I did not stop just slowed down. Spilled some. Other runners kept throwing bottles at me. Invisible? Moi?

The race goes under the Clifton Suspension Bridge twice so you get to see the faster runners coming towards you on the other half of the road. At that stage this was good for my morale as I only began to see other Red Label runners on the opposite carriageway when I was almost within sight of the turning point.

The route back into town goes around the other side of the harbour from the start and from there zig-zags all around the town. Here the surfaces can be a bit troublesome - tarmac mostly, not too bumpy but with raised metal edges, sometimes wet from spilled water. Granite setts are a bit of a pain - danger of twisted ankles on some of the larger ones and they feel a bit hard on the feet anyway. Slippery gravel on another part of the course. Cross-country and fell runners will be thinking “wimp”.

Although I had looked up the revised route and knew there were a lot of loops in the final portion I had not reckoned on how hard this would be. I did find that the reverse loops and sharp uphill bits in the last few miles were sapping of the morale as well as the physique. I know the bystanders mean well but their shouts of the usual mantras of “You can do it” (Methinks - I know or I would not have entered) and “Not Far To Go Now” (Methinks - 3 miles not far?) began to pall. I expect I was just jealous of Superman who got all the attention - but it did mean that I had to pass him and stay ahead to the finish - so indirectly it helped me too.

The hardest bit was the last 0.2 mile. Yes I know they tell you not to sprint but you just have to make a good finish don’t you? Besides - Superman was not far behind me and I had run out of Kryptonite to strew in his path.

Official Time 2:06:11. New PB.

Special Thanks to MOH who gave up a prime gardening day.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks JRW. I was pleased with the result - better time than Bath shows progress over past half-year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great report. Sounds like you ran it sensibly, got everything right, found your optimum pace and got rewarded with a cracking PB. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Runningfox. I love it when a plan comes together.

    ReplyDelete