Sunday 18 September 2011

Statistics II

Bristol Half

Beaten by Edwin Kipyego. Again!

His time for the Bristol Half Marathon 01:03:20 - almost 2 minutes ahead of the next man.
40 seconds faster than his time for the Bath-Half.

He said that he hoped to beat the Bristol course record of 01:02:55 and suggested the strong winds prevented him. He was reported by the Evening Post as being ill at the finish - so he was trying hard.

My time for Bristol - 02:06:11. The first of 4 with that time - thanks to my final sprint.
6min and 45sec faster than my Bath-Half time.

I was not ill at the finish. Must try harder.
Fractionally over double the time of the winner.

Warm-Up in Millenium Square

Half and Half
Statistically this is a useful rule-of-thumb. My times are likely to be double those of an elite athlete and my speeds about half.

Cycling - On road races when the professionals are slowly cruising they are going at about 25mph. My touring speed is about 12.5mph.

Running - 1 mile - has been done in under 4 minutes. I can do it in under 8.

Swimming - I have no stats for this. But as my breast stroke is faster than my Australian crawl you can guess that my crawl ‘aint fast - or efficient. My back-stroke is my fastest stroke but I need a line on the ceiling to follow - so not suitable for outdoor swimming. My porpoise - whether with dolphin double-kick or breast-stroke style leg action - is so inefficient that I have never been able to exceed a length using that stroke. Doggy paddle is not much more than treading water. My Catherine Wheel is spectacular - but of course if done properly keeps me rotating in the same place so cannot be used as a swimming stroke.

Even Steps
For each of my modes of travelling my average speed appears to double for the “next” one, approximately:-
  1. Walking - 3 mph
  2. Running - 6 mph
  3. Cycling - 12 ½ mph
  4. Driving old car - 25 mph
  5. Driving modern car - 50 mph.
Does this mean that my world is build by intelligent design? Probably not.









No comments:

Post a Comment