Wednesday 2 November 2011

Progress

My running started on a whim and continued on the predication of improvement.

Has this happened? Time to check progress.

Metric
Comparisons can only be made on a like-for-like basis. It was just under 12 months ago that I got my Garmin and this make it possible to compare times, distances and other data.

Except the updated software has erased my notes! Lucky I kept a log on Runners Forum.

Improvement
Taking averages of runs over similar distances I have improved over the past year by:-
  1. Average Speed - up nearly 5%
  2. Max Speed - up 13%
  3. Distances covered - up 25%
  4. Heart Rate - average and max - down by 7%
  5. Half marathon PB - reduced by 5%

I have also lost 11lbs in weight over the year.

Law of Diminishing Returns
Inevitably it will become progressively harder to add to these improvements. There is also the risk that age and injury may knock back progress.

But that is tomorrow’s issue - onwards and upwards today.

As long as it remains legal.


Pic of Willls ciggies old enamel ad

"As we jog on, either laugh with me, or at me, or in short do anything - only keep your temper."
Tristram Shandy - Laurence Sterne

No comments:

Post a Comment