Monday 21 November 2011

Swindon 10Km - 2011

New PB
My personal best time 10K is now 0:54:13 - official time for Swindon 10K race on Sunday 20-11-2011.

Late
Arrived late - fog on M4 - only just in time to take part.

Delayed Start
Had to run towards the faces at the start line - to the cheers of the other runners. Sorry to keep you waiting folks!

I told them I was just finishing last year’s race - which got a laugh. Fastest warm-up I have ever done.

Got to back of queue just as race started. Garmin not ready either - still searching for satellites after start.

Strategy
Keep It Simple Sunshine (KISS) - just to push myself a little harder than I do in training and to keep this pressure on for the whole distance.

As 6.5 miles within an hour is now a normal training run the 10k distance held no fears for me on Sunday.

Narrative
From last year I knew that the first K or so was flat along a broad largely traffic-free road and so there was space to overtake even within the large crowd without getting in anyone else’s way. Being already well warmed up meant that I could make the most of this broad avenue of opportunity.

At around 2K had to stop to retie shoelace. Note to self - double bow needed.

The K markers seemed to come up with rapid regularity and it was reassuring to recognise landmarks. One surprise was the hills - or rather lack of them. The course is mostly level with some slight gradients up and down. Last year these gradients felt like hills. This year not.

On my training runs I do not carry water and re-hydrate when I get home. The Swindon 10k provides a watering point on the repeat loop where it can be accessed on either lap. I decided not to stop or collect any this year on the basis that I would lose time picking up water and I did not need it as I am used to running the distance without.

From the 8k marker I pushed myself a bit harder for the penultimate K. Back on the flat for the last one I concentrated on a smooth action and steady breathing and pace until the last 100m where I extended into a bit of a sprint to pass the 3 people ahead of me.

Weather & Clothing
Less cold and wet than last year. Wore short-sleeve top but new tights rather than shorts. Comfortable.

Result
296th out of 494 runners. In 3rd Quartile.

Time - 54 minutes 13 seconds.

Improvement on last year - 4 minutes 26 seconds. 26.6 seconds per Kilometre. 7.5%.

Winner’s time 0:32:21.

Rewards
New PB. New Medal. Tea & Bacon Baps.

Oh, and did I mention a new PB?

1 comment: