Thursday 30 September 2010

Dawn Patrol

This week I joined the Twenty Minute-ers. Sort of.

My 5 runs in the past 7 days have all included at least 20 minutes running. But not necessarily continuously. Sometimes interrupted by a car in a narrow lane or, if using my early morning circuit, by the clanging-gated bridge.

Effectively this means that I am at the end of the 5 week Beginners Guide on the Runners' Forum.

Out very early this morning at 6-42 to avoid the rush-hour. Three gentle circuits within 23.03 minutes. Clang! clang! clang! It would have been faster but I stooped to conker.

On the map about 3.55 Km. Not far or fast but I was ready to stop at the finish. Average less than 8 minutes per lap - speed more than 5mph. So above my target pace for the Bath Half Marathon.

Compared with my first run just 6 weeks ago I have tripled my distance and time. And I am not as out of breath either during or at the end of  the run.

All I have to do now is extend my running distance 6 times.

Reality Check
Today's run represents getting from Laura Place to Vicky Park on the half-marathon route. Without stopping at The Ram at Widcombe for a pint.

Useless Factoids
  • Dogs seen - 7
  • Dog-walkers - 7: carrying laden dog-pooh bag - 1
  • Cats on prowl - 1
  • Birds twittering - innumerable
  • Conkers collected - 2
Temp 42degF. RH 99%  Wind speed 0mph.
Rosy dawn's fingers were cold and damp this morning. Gloves?

In the shower the knob fell off. Loose grub screw.
Allen key?


Dawn Patrol at the FAA Museum

2 comments:

  1. In the winter wind and rain cold hands could really draw a lot of heat away from your core. T-shirt and gloves may look a little silly, but if it feels right do it - its not hurting anyone. Ignore the titters from people who assume you are emulating some premiership footballer.

    As someone who walks rather than runs I manage to avoid any conditions where gloves and T-shirt would be justified.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried it this morning - black gloves. Looks more sinister than silly! Works tho'

    ReplyDelete