Friday 17 September 2010

Goals and Targets

For those tasks we regard as difficult it is always useful to have a clear idea of what needs to be done. Then seek to achieve whatever we have set ourselves.

Hence the image of aiming. For goals - hit or miss. Or targets - which provide a scale of achievement according to distance from the centre.
“I believe this nation should commit itself to the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and bringing him safely to earth.” - JFK.
This is often cited as an example of a SMART objective - one that combines the essential elements:-
  • Stated
  • Measurable
  • Agreed
  • Realistic
  • Time bound
In the work situation Agreed and Realistic are often overlooked, Measured and Time bound fudged, and Stated misread or misunderstood.

Simple targets are best. Some might describe this as a clear target - but that is a technical term for one that has been missed!

My Targets
The Bath Half Marathon race rules require entrants to be able to complete the event within 4 hours. So crudely this gives me a “hard target” (that is one that must be achieved) of 4 hours.

How realistic is this? Well on the basis that I completed the Dew Pond Run - all uphill - and with no preparation or training - in under 2 hours then it should be possible for me to complete double the distance, more or less on the level, within double that time and after 5 months preparation and training. But 19 years on?

The roads will be progressively reopened 3 hours 15 minutes after the start of the race. It seems to me a good idea to try to finish before then so as not to breathe exhaust fumes. So this gives me a target of 3 hours 12 minutes. The lost 3 minutes is to allow for slow-starting at the back of the field. 4.2 (or 7 metric). An achievable speed for me?

Then there is the concept of a “stretch target” - intended to be difficult and maybe out of reach. On that basis rounding down to 3 hours makes sense for my target time.

Planning for Endurance
At present on my Beginners Programme I am running no more than 16 minutes in 4 minute blocks. By the end of the month I should be on 20 minutes running without a break.

Within 5 months this must be built up to being able to run for the full 3 hours. A suggested programme of increasing stamina is to add 5 minutes each week. After 5 months this would mean runs of 2 hours duration. Still short of the full 3 hours target.

As always time is insufficient and the plan takes too long.

Among the advice is that one should vary the runs - some longer and some shorter but faster. And include some rest days in between.

Milestones
One way of measuring progress is by waypoints on the route. It has been recommended to me - by a runner - that I should enter for a shorter run - say 10Km - before the Half Marathon.

A trial run

In theory this would:-

  • Give me experience of running in a crowd
  • Measure my progress
  • Be a closer target easier to hit
The confidence gained in achieving the intermediate goal would help towards the end one. Or?


Far for Bath




No comments:

Post a Comment