Wednesday 6 October 2010

The Medical Exam II

The main reasons for my follow up medical with the nurse was to take the fasting cholesterol test and to measure any weight loss.

The good news was a loss of a couple of pounds - as intended.
The bad news - a few days later - was a high cholesterol score - so an appointment with the doc.

I am not very keen on medication. Unexpected side-effects appear to run in the family. The likelihood of aching muscles - how would I know if it is the running or the pills - does not fill me with enthusiasm. Also if my liver might get trashed - well I would rather do it the traditional way.

For a couple of months we are going to see what diet and exercise can do. So as well as losing the biscuits and cakes I now have to cut out the Cheddar, Wenslydale, Stilton, Cheshire and Red Leicester.

As the old slang for accepting bad luck has it - "Hard Cheese". 


Thought 4 the Day

If I had not made the decision to enter the Bath Half Marathon - and arranged for a check-up - would my high cholesterol levels have been spotted?


No lesson seems to be so deeply inculcated by the experience of life as that you never should trust experts.
If you believe the doctors, nothing is wholesome: if you believe the theologians, nothing is innocent: if you believe the soldiers, nothing is safe.
They all require to have their strong wine diluted by a very large admixture of insipid common sence.
Lord Salisbury - letter to Lord Lytton 15 June 1877.

Autumn Leaf Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment