Sunday 31 October 2010

New Training

"A formation of high flying geese
Lit up by the morning's low sun.
To see lovely sights such as these
Is truly reward for my run."

Apparently I train like a typical beginner - extending my distance but not my speed. Need new directions.

New Directions - Choose!
 
New Route
To extend my time and distance without doing repetitive laps of the same circuit I have tried a new route which goes down towards the River Avon and back uphill home.
 
It starts and finishes as my usual circuit - to retain the familiar Karma - but extends out and back to a loop at the other end. It has the potential to be lengthened.
 
Distance >6Km. About 4miles. But I am having difficulty measuring the distance accurately.
 
Four runs at over 40 minutes, one shorter run for 35. The 10+ minute mile average is a pedestrian speed. Whereas “slow“ for a long distance runner is an 8min. mile.
 
Does this matter since my aim is to finish?
 
New Routine
Reading a book from the library - “Everyone’s Guide to Distance Running" by Norrie Williamson - it appears my routine is not good. Apparently one should vary the pace and distance on different training runs.
 
So I have tried doing some bits faster than others. Floating down hill - pushing up. With slower recovery periods jogging along between them. Supposed to add strength and pace to endurance.
 
Mind you Norrie regards distance running as 50Km upwards. E=mc2.
 
This has made the runs more interesting and more difficult - which is probably a good thing. Did find myself with tired legs and lungs at maximum distance from home. Motivator!

New Risks 
MOH suggested I take my phone with me and call home for a lift if exhausted or have an accident. This is a bit like a WWI aviator with a parachute - added weight and a supposed disincentive to fight on. Good advice though - and will be followed.
 
Yesterday morning running style was all over the place - awkward almost stumbling or tripping once or twice. Tired? Over training? Something to watch out for in the event itself. It would be a bad trip to fall in a crowd and take others down too.
 
New Target
My entry has been accepted for the Swindon 10Km. Three weeks to prepare.
Sub 70 min?
 
New Time
Back to GMT. But local time - as on the new sundial at Widcombe - is plus a few minutes.

"I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree." - Kilmer
"Timber" - The Muppet Show 

Westonbirt Arboretum

No comments:

Post a Comment