Wednesday 13 October 2010

That Was The Week That Was

Today I completed my first training run of more than 30 minutes.

Monday evening, after an exhausting rest day and a sleepless night, I had to backtrack and do only 2 laps. My first evening run. More people about than in the morning - plus a lost duck looking for her pond or a river.

To make up for the missed distance I decided to do 4 laps this morning. At the end of three I was beginning to think of excuses to stop. Knee ache? But went round again and clocked up just over 30 minutes.

Ruler on map suggests almost 5Km - less than a quarter of the Bath Half Marathon distance. Not bad progress for 8 weeks. Lost 8lbs in weight also. Now I need to repeat that for the remainder of the week.

My feeling is that I am on course. But I know it is going to get harder as the days get shorter and colder and my training runs get longer. My local routes are beginning to be a limitation and I need to get to places where I can run longer distances uninterrupted by features.

Am considering changing my routine to a mid-day run - avoiding running in the dark alongside rush-hour traffic. A pre-lunch run is popular with office workers. By doing this I can also postpone buying warmer running kit until I have saved some cash.

No Lidl near here!

Time to consider entering a 10Km race, as suggested by Nurse and other runners. To add pressure and provide a real measure of progress.

Public Bath

Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that! - Lewis Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment