Thursday 19 August 2010

First Run

Just like other human activities, running attracts acronyms. PB stands for Personal Best - relating to a time for a distance. Except in my case - where it stands for Procrastination and Bullshit.

How long is it since I signed up for the Bath Half? Four and a half weeks.

“It’s the job that’s never started as takes longest to finish” - Gaffer Gamgee
This morning at 7, under an Artex® sky of clouds like swaged net curtains, I went for my first run.

If it can be called that. 6 minutes and 29 seconds of running approx.1 Km. Plus two gaps for walking in between and a warm up and warm down walk at each end. Less than 20 minutes out of the house.

Downs - Surprised how short of breath I became. Not fit! Reality check - this is going to take more commitment and persistence than I had reckoned.

Ups - The shoes and shorts worked well, providing comfort and support. They should also cope well with perspiration but I did not give them an adequate test of that today.
No pains in limbs or body - indeed aching knee felt better running than walking. How odd is that?

To Be Reconsidered - My top was a Sydney2000® Tee shirt. Looked Cool in 1999 but not cool today.

Running shoes have come a long way in the past half-century when Dunlop® daps (or plimsolls as we called them in London) was the Hobson’s Choice. Shorts too have changed dramatically since the old drop ‘em and cough days when floppy white PT shorts with coloured House stripe were the uniform wear for running as well as the school medical check-up.

Conclusions:-
  1. I was right to get proper kit before doing any running.
  2. Morning run before humidity builds is good
  3. Repeat run tomorrow
  4. Get a running top
  5. Prepare a Plan



No comments:

Post a Comment